The CEO of Apple Steve Jobs started a Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 in San Francisco where he announced the next generation iPhone “iPhone-4”. Although the news of iPhone-4 leaked but Apple stayed with their plan and announced the 4th generation of iPhone model. Just like earlier when new generation of iPhone were launched the selling of old one was stopped (like first generation stopped selling by launch of iPhone 3G, and same as iPhone 3G selling was stopped after the launch of iPhone 3GS which would be sold for $99 for 2 years contract).
Apple has launched the next generation of iPhone- iPhone 4 with awesome new features, and will start selling iPhone 4 from June 24 at $199 with a two year contract in U.S. iPhone 4 will be available in two different versions; 16GB version costing $199, and 32GB version costing $299. Fro iPhone 4, Apple has renamed their opertiing system iPhone OS 4.0 for iPad and iPhone/iPad Touch devices to iOS4. For all the devices iOS4 upgrade will be available from June 21.
iPhone 4G features in detail:
- iPhone 4G is 9.3mm thick and 24% thinner than iPhone 3GS.
- On the top the iPhone 4G has a 3.5mm headset jack, secondary mic and the sleepwake up button.
- At the bottom the iPhone 4 has a primary mic,speaker and a 30-pin connector port.
- Volume control on the sides.
- If you look at the above image, design wise, the iPhone 4G model has a box like structure and has dropped the rounded hind’s design (which previous generation had).
- This time Apple has used stainless steel rims for binding the body of iPhone 4.
- The rims of the iPhone 4 act as bonding agents to hold the two glass panels on the front and back of the iPhone 4.
- The rims also have integrated antennas.
- iPhone 4 debuts a new display “retina Display”.
- It is 3.5 inch multi touch display which offers 960×640 pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch.
- With this you’ll have more amazing graphics display while playing games.
- The IPS technology based panel offer 800:1 contrast ratio which is 4x times better than previous iPhone devices.
- The front and back panel will come coated with fingerprints resistance oleo-phobic coating
With all these features, you’ll be able to watch comfortably 720p HD movies on 960×640 pixel display with more accurate colors.
To conserve power to add up to the battery life Apple has used the same A4 System-on-Chip processor on iPhone 4 as earlier used in Apple’s iPad.
The camera in iPhone 4 has some awesome features:
- Apple has added a 5 megapixel sensor with backside illuminated sensor and LED Flash.
- 5x digital zoom and tap to focus option
- The 5 megapixel camera comes with the capability of recording 720p HD video at 30 frames per second.
- The LED Flash will stay illuminated for recording better quality picture in videos.
- iPhone 4, has a front camera with which you can video call known as “Face Time”, and work even when the Wi-fi is turned off.
- “Face Time” works out of box and does not need any setup or installation.
- The “Face time” has been built using some open standards like SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), H.264, AAC and so on.
- In iPhone 4 Apple has introduced new iMovie for video editing (which will include options like scene trasitions,themes, editable titles etc)
- The iMovie app will be available for $5, but after the launch of iOS4 on June 21.
Another feature introduced by Apple in iPhone 4 is “three-axis gyroscope”( a devise maintaining orientation or measuring it, based on the rotation mechanism of the object).
- The “Three-axis gyroscope” is attached with Accelerometer, which make iPhone 4 capable of 6-axis motion sensing.
This feature is similar to that used in Sony PlayStation 3’s game controller which has gyroscope motion sensing.
6. Battery life:
In previous generations of iPhone the major issue that concerned Apple was of battery life, but fortunately this issue has been resolved and the new generation iPhone 4 comes up with a larger battery. This large battery is lithium-ion rechargeable and offers:
- up-to 7 hours talk time on 3G network
- 14 hours of talk time on 2G network
- Listen up-to 40 hours of music
- 10 hours of video watch
The most amazing thing in it is that now users can browse mobile web for up-to 10 hours.
As the outer rims of iPhone 4 will be working as antenna system, so for that reason no other outer casing can be used. So Apple has come out with its own set of cases for iPhone 4 know as “Bumpers”. Bumpers are made by molded plastic and rubber, which will keep the antenna system as well as glass panels safe. They will be available in different colors like White, Black, Green, Blue, Orange and Pink.
8. Other features:
- Quadband HSDPA/HSUPA
- Wi-Fi (802.11n)
“802.11n WiFi is a faster networking standard that works up to five times faster and up to twice the range as its predecessor.”
- iBooks App as free download
- Microsoft’s search engine Bing officially added to search engine options.
- Assisted GPS
- Digital Compass
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Micro SIM just like the ones used in iPad
Other features like Multitasking and folders utilities will come preloaded with iPhone 4, but other Apple devices users can get these features once the iOS4 update is available for everyone. In iPhone 4 the iTunes 9.2 will be needed, so hopefully this iTunes software upgrade will be available soon.
iPhone 4 will be available in two colors: black and white. On June 24 Apple will start shipping iPhone 4 to U.S, Germany, UK and Japan. And till September iPhone 4 will be available in 88 countries.
Popularity: 21% [?]802.11N, Accelerometer, Digital compass, features details, GPS, HD video recording in iphone, HSDPA, HSUPA, iBook, iMovie, iOS4, iPhone 4, iPhone 4G, iPhone 4G battery, iPhone 4G battery life, iPhone 4G Bumpers, iPhone 4G Camera, iPhone 4G Design, iPhone 4G Display, iPhone 4G Gyroscope, iPhone 4G Processor, Quadband, steve jobs, techskipper, techskipper.com